Sunday, December 22, 2019

Drawing Everyday for a Year (or two)

Tonight I've put my pen down because I just wasn't feeling it.
First, after some hand warmers, I was feeling brave so I tried to trace a dense city skyline of my hometown but after 15 minutes I felt like ripping my hair out. I then went to work on a piece I had started the other day featuring characters that I've drawn a hundred billion times by now, but it was if my hand was actively rebelling against me - screaming "please just go to bed" as it tends to do at times.

This kind of stuff used to really bother me, and don't get me wrong, it's still frustrating, but I've come to accept the fact that sometimes the drawing machine just does not work and that's okay. I've had to accept this, as I've been forcing encouraging myself to draw every single day since 2018. Okay, I'll be honest, I missed a few days out last year, but so far I've managed to draw at least one thing per day throughout 2019 - and with only a week or so left, I'll hopefully not mess it up at the last minute.

I would highly encourage that everyone with an interest in art and animation pick up this habit - especially those in animation as you're gonna want to get used to drawing constantly. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece every evening, just a little doodle or two will suffice. I find this helpful for a few reasons: it keeps your "drawing muscles" active, it prevents you from taking long breaks away from art and coming back all rusty, and most importantly, it helps you improve. I can safely say that doing this has boosted my skills dramatically without me even noticing. If you can turn drawing from a chore to second nature, it will do wonders for your capabilities.

I'm talking about this because I was honestly surprised to hear that hardly anyone else I know does this - especially those who are wayyy better at art than I am! i'm also very bored and felt like typing up my thoughts
This is probably common knowledge/something you've heard a million times, but take it from me - I usually ignore all advice until it works out for me. (There was a point being made there I think)


NOW GO DRAW SOMETHING DUMMY

No comments:

Post a Comment